1 1/2 lb lean beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
SUB: chicken breast, portobello mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon The Fit Cook Everyday blend
SUB: 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tablespoon The Fit Cook Land seasoning
SUB: your choice of dried herbs: thyme, rosemary, Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
pinch of sea salt & pepper
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
1 large carrot, chopped into 1-inch chunks
1 1/2 cups uncooked (short-grain) brown rice
2 cups low sodium beef broth (or water, but not recommended)
8oz low sodium tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (OPTIONAL)
zest from 1/2 lemon
2 Bay leaves
8 oz broccoli (or Brocolini) florets
1) Set a pot on HIGH heat. Once hot, add oil and beef. As the beef sears, add the paprika, The Fit Cook Everyday blend and The Fit Cook Land herb seasoning. Cook for about 3 minutes, until sear marks begin to appear.
2) REDUCE the heat of the pot to low-medium and once the pot is cooler, add garlic, onions and carrots. Cook until the onions turn brown and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3) The add in uncooked brown rice and stir continuously until every grain of rice is toasted and covered in oil and herbs.
4) Pour in the broth, Worcestershire and tomato sauce and stir. Add in the lemon zest and Bay leaves. Stir.
5) Adjust the heat of the pot to bring to a light simmer, then cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the rice has absorbed the majority of the liquid.
6) Once the rice has almost cooked, simply place the broccoli florets ON TOP of the rice and put the lid on halfway to cook for the remaining time and to allow excess liquid to be absorbed and evaporate.
7) When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the broccoli and remove from the heat.
8) Garnish and enjoy!!