20oz raw, center-cut, skinless salmon filets, reserve 5oz of salmon filet to chop up
1 cup (gluten-free) panko crumbs or breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
pinches of sea salt & pepper
2/3 cup chopped green onion
1 jalapeño (or more), chopped with or without seeds depending on degree of spice preferred
1 cup diced reduced fat cheddar (or shredded cheddar)
1) Add 75% of the salmon filets to a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until well minced and sticky and add to a bowl. With the remaining 25% of salmon filet, diced up with a knife and add to the bowl.
2) Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together.
3) Evenly divide the mince to create a burgers. Once the burgers have been made, place them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to become more firm.
4) Set oven to 420F.
5) Set a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, lightly spray with oil, then add the salmon burgers. Sear on each side for 2 -3 minutes, or until the edges of the salmon burger turn brown and crispy.
6) Transfer the patties to a baking tray lined with parchment OR add the entire skillet to the oven. Bake for 6 – 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the burgers).
7) Enjoy the burgers while they are still hot with buns and lettuce and tomato, OR bun-less with avocado!