2 tsp olive oil
1 cup scallions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
1.5 lb beef stew meat, cut into small chunks
1/3 cup light beer
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp adobo, or salt
1/2 tsp achiote, or sazon
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
10 oz baby red potatoes, halved or quartered
1) In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2) Add scallions and garlic and sauté about 2 – 3 minutes; add tomatoes, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring.
3) Add beef to the pot along with beer, water, cumin, adobo, achiote, bay leaf and salt if needed.
4) Cover and simmer on low heat 1 1/2 hours.
5) Test to make sure beef is tender, if not cook another 15 minutes.
6) Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 20 minutes depending on the size.